New Boombox enthusiast

Melbatoast

Hi,

New to the forum, wanted to introduce myself. I recently started collecting boom boxes. I started by buying a few broken Panasonic and Sony’s from the mid 80’s and learning how to fix them. Mostly repairing broken antennae, resoldering/replacing battery connectors, cold solder joints, contact/pot/switch cleaning and replacing belts. I lean more towards the earlier boom boxes as they seem to be better built to me. My current collection is quite small consisting of Superscope CRS-1800, International (Bolt box variant) and National RX-5620 and a small pile of boom boxes I learned to repair on.

Obligatory pics

IMG_0864.jpegIMG_0861.jpegIMG_0860.jpeg

Last edited:

floyd

Member (SA)
Welcome it's nice to have you here.
That's a great collection .
The boxes look great.
Awesome job fixing and maintain them.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Welcome. You are in the right place.

I can appreciate everything you mentioned in your introduction post. I started the same way. The prices these things are going for now in working condition were too high for me to pull the trigger. I learned to fix them because I loved seeing them come to life and knowing that I also raised the value. Plus, I have a tendency to grow more fond of my radios when I have serviced them. There's something about knowing how it works that makes them more special. Plus it's a good feeling to know you're keeping a part of our history alive and well for others to see and appreciate.

That National is a fine specimen for sure. Looks like you are starting off with a great collection.

Edit: There is a ton of knowledge on this site. You are sure to enjoy the company.

Again, Welcome to Boomboxery!

Last edited:

Audio Augie

Member (SA)
Hi really liking the National! Looks super clean too. Been here awhile but just started posting. When i started, (RX 5030), my wife began to notice all these broken boxes started arriving in the mail and for a bit my garage looked like a super low budget Panasonic chopshop lol.

Fatdog

Staff member
Hi really liking the National! Looks super clean too. Been here awhile but just started posting. When i started, (RX 5030), my wife began to notice all these broken boxes started arriving in the mail and for a bit my garage looked like a super low budget Panasonic chopshop lol.
That's usually how the sickness starts. :lol::-D:w00t:

Reactions: floyd