JVC M70

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
Superduper said:
It's a 50k ohm pot, so I think it's OK. There might be a slight difference in volume between left/right but I don't think it's going to be noticable at all, certainly not when both speakers are working at the same time. I trust you cleaned off the entire board with soap, water, then follow up with isopropyl before the treatment? The break at the ends between the rivet and the carbon strip is where I normally see breaks.

As for overlapping -- yep. If you overlap too much, then it can certainly affect the resistance. I think the conductive silver is rated at something like .2 ohms/mm. The carbon would be much higher.

Hi Superduper,

Wow! Thanks again for your valuable advice and help! Greatly appreciated! I used a cotton swab and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. What kind of treatment I should give to the contacts? Deoxit 5?

I was wondering where I can get the belt of M70. I knew a guy before who sells it and he is out of business now.
best belt supplier central... :-D
http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/
frm 9.6
scy 7.0 :-D

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
baddboybill said:
BoomboxLover48 said:
Superduper said:
It's a 50k ohm pot, so I think it's OK. There might be a slight difference in volume between left/right but I don't think it's going to be noticable at all, certainly not when both speakers are working at the same time. I trust you cleaned off the entire board with soap, water, then follow up with isopropyl before the treatment? The break at the ends between the rivet and the carbon strip is where I normally see breaks.

As for overlapping -- yep. If you overlap too much, then it can certainly affect the resistance. I think the conductive silver is rated at something like .2 ohms/mm. The carbon would be much higher.

Hi Superduper,

Wow! Thanks again for your valuable advice and help! Greatly appreciated! I used a cotton swab and cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol. What kind of treatment I should give to the contacts? Deoxit 5?

I was wondering where I can get the belt of M70. I knew a guy before who sells it and he is out of business now.
best belt supplier central... :-D
http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/
frm 9.6
scy 7.0 :-D

Hi baddboybill,

You guys are awesome! :thumbsup: God Bless You!

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL

BoomboxLover48 said:
Superduper said:

Hi Superduper,

Hi Superduper and BadboyBill,

FIXED IT
:thumbsup:

Thank you all and the others who helped me here. Just put the tone control board back and the M70 ROCKS! :thumbsup: :-D :breakdance:

God Bless You all!

Without your help I would have never figured out a way to fix it. My initial guess was a weak amp.

Wow! It is 11:50PM and i am dancing with joy! I now got a beautiful M70 that you guys helped me to fix it.

A million thanks to you all! I will post pictures later. :breakdance:

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Superduper said:
BoomboxLover48 said:
A million bucks would be better. check ur PM for my Paypal address. :lol: :yes: ;-)

:breakdance: :thumbsup: :surf: :lol:

You guys are awesome!

I am still awake listening to the M70. I do have other boomboxes like Panasonic RX7200, RX5350, RX5700, RX7000, Pioneers, JVC, Akai and so on...but this M70 is very unique! The radio reception and tone quality is amazing!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
BoomboxLover48 said:
BoomboxLover48 said:
Superduper said:

Hi Superduper,

Hi Superduper and BadboyBill,

FIXED IT
:thumbsup:

Thank you all and the others who helped me here. Just put the tone control board back and the M70 ROCKS! :thumbsup: :-D :breakdance:

God Bless You all!

Without your help I would have never fugured out a way to fix it. My initial guess was a weak amp.

Wow! It is 11:50PM and i am dancing with joy! I now got a beautiful M70 that you guys helped me to fix it.

No problem :thumbsup: Glad to hear its 100% :-D :w00t: :w00t:

Alf

Member (SA)
Jul 29, 2009
I have extra alps sliders available for parts if needed. :) I'm in the middle of a move but I'll see if I can dig em up. :)

Alf

Member (SA)
Jul 29, 2009
I have the set of alps I purchased off of ebay that time. If I remember correctly, we were unable to determine if they had the same tonal curve of the oem M70 sliders, but the rest of the parts are good. I.e. the sticks with the feelers, etc.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
I forgot to add some pictures where I used the conductive paint on the carbon resistor strips. You can see the white paint at the end of strips where it had the breaks.

milci

Apr 3, 2019
Buenos Aires
Hello. I am new to this site, but suffered the same issue. They are the same pots for M70 and RC838. Tried to find them, but the only place that sells them (yes, they seem to be a very similar model available, if not the same) does it in lots of 1000. I am sure that there must be a retail re-selling them in normal quantities, so if anyone knows, will be nice to know. Or, I could buy a 1000 of these and then sell them internationally on ebay! Hmmmm...

The one that really, really looks like these pots is https://hongyu.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008834649694/pdtl/Slide-potentiometer/1147023743/30mm-travel-stereo-slide-potentiometer.htm

Comments?

Regards,
Milci

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
milci said:
Hello. I am new to this site, but suffered the same issue. They are the same pots for M70 and RC838. Tried to find them, but the only place that sells them (yes, they seem to be a very similar model available, if not the same) does it in lots of 1000. I am sure that there must be a retail re-selling them in normal quantities, so if anyone knows, will be nice to know. Or, I could buy a 1000 of these and then sell them internationally on ebay! Hmmmm...

The one that really, really looks like these pots is https://hongyu.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008834649694/pdtl/Slide-potentiometer/1147023743/30mm-travel-stereo-slide-potentiometer.htm

Comments?

Regards,
Milci
Sorry the target is 50kohms. There would be a round one you could Substitute.