Lettering and decals - solved

Huffers

Member (SA)
Hi All,
I have finally got round to creating a detailed how to guide for anyone interested in having a go at their own decals. Hopefully you will find it useful. I would be interested to know how you get on if you have a go. If you have any of your own tips please share.
I don't pretend to be an expert but if anyone has any questions I will try to help if I can.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• DIY Decal and Lettering Guide_compressed (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 59

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Has anyone done anything similar with transparent vinyl decal paper and a die cut machine (silhouette or cricut) to get the lettering precisely cut. I know the home die cut machines are marketed for crafting but I saw a youtube video of a guy turning out decals with it.

caution

Member (SA)
I didn't have any luck with my Silhouette. The swivel blades don't have the maneuverability to make all the tight turns at that scale without disrupting nearby material - the tiny slivers of lettering have a harder time staying stuck to the backing and shift around/detach. At that scale you also start to get into the noise of the machine's limits of accuracy and things get kinda wonky. I did have some success cutting the TRC975 tweeter lettering but it didn't really look what I would call "die cut" quality, and they're twice as big as lettering for controls. They definitely looked rough.

Reactions: BoxBeats

BoxBeats

Member (SA)
Thanks Caution. I’m just researching Silhouette and might buy an older Cameo 1. Is the Business Edition of the software worth the crazy $99 upgrade?

caution

Member (SA)
Maybe use it for a while before deciding. I never did. I use other tools for designing, so all it needs to do is let me import my stuff so I can arrange them and configure the blade.

Reactions: BoxBeats