What do you mean, no cassette?

DustyK47

Member (SA)
Anybody here think it's weird (or less unkind words) on many places, especially eBay, where someone is selling a boombox and claims about what works and what doesn't but then says sketchy stuff about the tape deck? Generally it had verbiage along the lines of "I don't know if it works or not, I don't have a cassette to test it."

My thought is it's not that difficult to find a cassette anywhere...possibly just too lazy to really to check it out.

Hisrudeness

Member (SA)
Anybody here think it's weird (or less unkind words) on many places, especially eBay, where someone is selling a boombox and claims about what works and what doesn't but then says sketchy stuff about the tape deck? Generally it had verbiage along the lines of "I don't know if it works or not, I don't have a cassette to test it."

My thought is it's not that difficult to find a cassette anywhere...possibly just too lazy to really to check it out.

Very possible that sellers don't have cassettes at this time. Regardless of that it's very simple to ask them to press play or rewind, ff etc to ascertain whether the movement does anything even with no tape loaded.

Hajidub

Member (SA)
It's more of an out on Ebay to sell as parts/non-working, usually a belt issue, so you don't make a Paypal claim and get your money back. It's actually a way to get something really nice for cheap if you have the patience to replace the belts yourself.

hopey

Member (SA)
It's more of an out on Ebay to sell as parts/non-working, usually a belt issue, so you don't make a Paypal claim and get your money back. It's actually a way to get something really nice for cheap if you have the patience to replace the belts yourself.
Also if you buy and item listed as working and you can prove it doesn't eBay will support Part or full refund.

Hajidub

Member (SA)
Also if you buy and item listed as working and you can prove it doesn't eBay will support Part or full refund.
I've seen many sell in the "for parts" catagory on supposedly working units and use that "for parts" section as a one-up when fighting with buyer. It happened to me and I lost the claim.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
When i used to sell radios on ebay i always listed them as spares or repair even though 90% of them worked perfect, i did it because these things are old as dirt and are very temperamental, they could work perfect at my house, but by the time the buyer gets it, you can bet yo a s s it would have developed a problem, i only ever had one person message me, that was when i sold a Hitachi 3D, the guy messaged me and accused me of ripping him off, he said one channel was very low, i replied and told him to flick the function switch back and forth a couple of times, he must have done that, and it must have fixed it because i never heard from him again..
When i buy a radio off ebay or where ever, i always assume the worst, that's how i buy them, then if i get them and they work better than i thought, it's a bonus. that's how you should buy them, ignore the description and just buy them as none working.

Brutus442

Member (SA)
When my step-father passed away 10 years ago, he left behind a ton of HAM radio equipment which I sold on Ebay after doing a little research. I found it best to follow Ghettoman's sentiment and list it for parts or not working, because although it did power up, I had no way of ensuring it would arrive at it's destination in the same condition. (Most of the equipment was sold to international destinations).
I only had one buyer message me and ask if I had some peripheral parts that originally came with the radio but I told him what you see is what I had.

No headaches thankfully, but in the last few years I've sworn off Ebay after reading some of the horror stories on this board. I'd rather deal with members directly

Reactions: Ghettoman