Ticking C100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
My C100 had been making a ticking noise on the lower deck for a while now however, it didn't cause issue with playback other than hearing the clicks in between tracks.

I had to wait until I was in a good mood because as those who know, the C100 can be quite challenging.

Well I dug into it and found the source of the clicking was this tiny spring on the mech that kicks the drive off when the end of the tape is reached.

Here I have already replaced it but it was a mofo to get out and install the replacement.

20180909_172912.jpg

At this point I would like to thank JVC Floyd for supplying the donor deck a while back. It proved useful today.

She's all back together after a few soldered wires popped off, a few curse words getting the deck back together and standing outside in the rain to cool off.

20180909_184658.jpg

Its singing once again and no longer ticks like a bomb while playing tapes.

T-STER

Member (SA)
Great fix, anything small like that would drive me insane so i can understand needing it fixed!

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Yeah. These cassette decks have a lot of plastic. It is possible that a few may still be playing another 10 years from now but I can tell by working on these things that the plastic workings of these decks are starting to let go.

They've had many years of ozone and the ones that were used outside baking in the hot sun or stored and/or used in non climate controlled areas, are fairly roached. The main issues with these decks are the plastic skeleton frame that secure all of the metal dowels and screws. It's cracking, opening up and causing failures.

So.....if they're going to fail whether I use them or not, might as well play the hell out of it while I can. I'll keep patching things until there's no hope. Then I'll use Aux in until capacitors or a chip goes....and hopefully by then I'll be an old fart. I'll hang that b**ch on the wall, place my teeth on the nightstand, put my bi-focals on, stare at it and silently blow air out of my puckered lips to the tune in my head...lol

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
Good job transistorized, that conion must have been apart more than a womans legs lol.

i cant even bear to look at mine since it is missing the yellow power badge and it looks like no one is willing to help

good job anyway buddy

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Rimmer36 said:
Good job transistorized, that conion must have been apart more than a womans legs lol.
Lol. True that. I've had it for 3 or 4 years. I usually take it apart at least once a year for something. I'm guessing it will be more often as time goes by.

My hacks seem to hold up though. It's almost always something else I have yet to fix that goes....and usually something plastic related.

What's funny is my Silver Conion that I got cheap and fixed, was a lower hour set. Mechanically that thing is amazing inside. It will be around a lot longer than my Gold C100 deck. Its just flat wearing out but is still working perfectly after my repairs.

If Goldie ever completely retires on me, I'll pull the chassis out of my Silver one and build the Gold one back with the best of both to make it perfect. :-D

T-STER

Member (SA)
Transistorized said:
So.....if they're going to fail whether I use them or not, might as well play the hell out of it while I can. I'll keep patching things until there's no hope. Then I'll use Aux in until capacitors or a chip goes....and hopefully by then I'll be an old fart. I'll hang that b**ch on the wall, place my teeth on the nightstand, put my bi-focals on, stare at it and silently blow air out of my puckered lips to the tune in my head...lol
Amen to that brother, couldn't of said it better...

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
I'm glad those parts help I hate f****** with anything that has Springs in it because it never fails the Springs do their job and just get f****** lost it all over the place I throw more **** in the trash because of Springs than anything else.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
Rimmer36 said:
I keep laughing about this in my head so I thought I would post a different picture of things all torn down on the lower deck from my ticking repair.

I think I have more pictures inside of my box than outside.

Main thing is she is happy and everything I've touched works good in the end.
It's funny because boxes have personalities.
There are some boxes that don't like me and everything I touch goes to sh*t!

I'm glad I have better luck with Goldie because I really enjoy this box.

20180909_172959.jpg

This is the kind of fun I remember with these boxes..lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLrKBqoFy2Y

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
There's a gold Conion on craigslist in Maryland right now the guy lowered the price from 1500 to 900.

Transistorized

Member (SA)
I saw that. With both decks dead I would say it would move in the 750 to 800 range. I may have to ask for forgiveness with my wife if he lowers it to that. At that point it would be worth the gamble to get the decks working, polish up and then depending on the shape of the parts sell my loved Goldie :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.