Sharp VZ-V2 slight rotation noise while playing records

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Hello,

I recently acquired a VZ-V2 in pretty good condition, and the record player plays both sides well. I have noticed a slight 'scuffing' sound that appears to be related to the record turning as it's pretty rhythmic. Noticeable when the music gets quiet.

On visual inspection, the mechanics of playback seem fine, but without being able to open the door I can't see what part is actually scuffing. The record comes out fine with no visible damage so maybe it's on an edge?

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? I am going to clean the rubber record-holder disc in case that's subtly slipping.

Thanks for any thoughts or insight you might have :)

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Thanks for the input!

I'll check it out and see if that's the issue. To me (not knowing a ton heh), the sound is a bit meatier than that, might even be the edge of the record brushing something. This is a good place to start, though!

Thanks for taking the time to respond :)

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Interestingly enough, I was cleaning the rubber disc-holder and it makes a squeaking / scuffing sound when I turn it. Anyone have experience with putting a bit of lubricant on the stem? Seems like it might clear up that particular noise. Or is this a terrible idea heh?

thekrakenisme

Member (SA)
Update: the disc holder was a bit squeaky and so I put a tiny drop of oil where it connects to the stem and that seems to have cleared up that particular sound, but the overall problem is still there.

I've been watching it play for a while, and it looks like the record is actually wobbling a bit while it turns, and there's a point where the edge of the disc looks to be brushing the back plate and that coincides with the noise. Any thoughts on how to reduce disc wobble? I imagine vertical-mounts are their own special insanity heh.

Additionally, I think there are two different rhythmic sounds. A deeper less scrapey sounding one in addition to what I think might be the disc. I've noticed that one corner of the loading door, when closed, protrudes slightly more than the other. I'm attaching a pic. When I gently press on this corner, the deep sound seems to clear up. Maybe I need to somehow realign the door or something's up with the latch?

Screenshot 2021-06-17 114319.png

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
For what I can see it's definitely out of alignment you should pull the whole turntable and reseat the springs at the bottom and then screw it back into the unit to see if it lines up better .

Reactions: thekrakenisme