HITACHI TRK 5280E speed adjust

Tim C

Hi Folks
I have just got this machine an was wondering how you change the tape speed as it's running a little slow.
I have managed on others boomboxes no problem.
This has me stumped as I have read the manual inside out at least 10 times.
here is a picture of mine the inside picture is from the web as it's a good quality photo .
Any help would be very kind as I have managed to get it 95% working and just a few things to try and solve
Kind Regards Tims-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• Hitachi TRK-5280E Stereo Radio Recorder - April 2019 (5) (1).jpg
    Hitachi TRK-5280E Stereo Radio Recorder - April 2019 (5) (1).jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Tim C

Thanks for the advice, I replace the belts as it's the least you can do on these machines.
You still need some speed adjustment to get it spot on :-)

caution

Member (SA)
Speed adjustment on the PCB is rare. The 5280 has no such thing.
Your motor is tied directly to main DC. Look at the snapshot from the service manual below.

Belts can have an outsized impact on speed, so make sure your replacement belts aren't too loose or too tight.

If that doesn't work, consider replacing the motor with one that has a speed adjustment.
Just make sure it has the same speed, rotational direction and power requirements.

51243307304_2605602fc7_b.jpg

Wes125

Member (SA)
THIS MODEL HAS A centrifugal fixed speed motor. AS IT SPINS THE INNER CLUTCH OPENS UP AND ADJUST ITS OWN SPEED. THEY CAN BE ADJUSTED BUT IT'S A FIDDLY JOB AND MOST OF THE TIME YOU CANT GET THE SPEED RIGHT AND IT PLAYS UNSTABLE. AND THEY CAN SHORT OUT AND BLOW THE POWER SUPPLY FUSE.. I DON'T BOTHER WITH THEM. I JUST REPLACE IT WITH A POT SPEED ADJUSTMENT MOTOR

Attachments

• P1010143_EDI_Model_M-75B.JPG
    P1010143_EDI_Model_M-75B.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

hopey

Member (SA)
I have found with these older type of motors they do have some friction on the shaft and bushings or the commutator needs cleaning. As long as the belts are not too tight you can gain a little speed by pulling the motor down. This is not an easy job but with care and patients it can be done.