Need of a working tape deck for M 90 boombox

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
In Need of a working tape deck for M 90 boombox

My technician friend opened up my M 90 to see if he could fix the problem with the tape deck. The plastic parts are just too worn out to be fixed. The fusible resistors are OK, The mechanism jams up because the gears plastic parts are too worn out. Each time you turn on and off the radio it puts the tape mechanism through a cycle. This overtime wears out the plastic parts in the tape deck more than if you would just play a tape. Doesn’t seem to be a good design. Anyway I’m in need of a fully working tape deck that someone may have removed from an M 90. If someone has this please let me know as I can get my friend to swap out the bad deck and put in the good Fully working deck. I know that would be very difficult to find after the boom box hasn’t been made for over 35 years

docs

Member (SA)
Jun 26, 2010
United Kingdom
Perhaps try and 3d print copies you make of the originals? If you have very precise dimensions and images perhaps someone on here could help to create the model?

Newclairtone7980

Member (SA)
Oct 15, 2017
ontario
first time i ever heard of the gears going bad on ebay right now there is a deck only for sale with the gears your looking for you just have the add a few parts from your deck good luck

prg333

Member (SA)
Aug 1, 2010
You have a partial deck, Can you give me more details send pictures. The problem with my tape deck was the plastic gears. Each time the radio is turned on and off the deck goes through a cycle that makes all the parts or certain parts of the deck move which are the gears the plastic gears that’s what wore out on my deck and I think that’s what happens on some other decks as well my technician friend showed me in detail what went wrong with mine. The tape deck is a good quality and if it didn’t go through that cycle each time the radio is turned on and off whether there’s a tape or not in there that wears out the plastic gears or the plastic wheel. The M 70 doesn’t have that at all and can last for years and years with just a replacement of belts or an idler wheel or a pulley Etc