Latest restored box.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
I've always liked these boxes but never had one. So many buttons and knobs, grouse. Ps you can attach full photos directly in thread.

Reactions: Huffers

Spax

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2023
SWUK
Funky fresh!

What's your approach to removing the paint from the grilles?

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
That is the first double cassette Sharp I remember seeing in the early 80s. I was amazed seeing all the controls it had and looked so complicated.
Love the looks of it!

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Yes. I was really impressed with the construction of this box.
I also have a 555 I picked up which is on my to do
Pile.
I've had 2 GF555.. I bought one in 86/87, bought it from a friend, it had a Blown Amp, i went to the sharp parts centre and Bought a new HA1392, i only lived a few miles from the Main Sharp Factory in Manchester, and just up the road was a place called willow vale electronics that sold all spares for sharp. it was awesome, i used to go there all the time.. when i repaired the sharp my friend that i bought it from seen it working and wanted to buy it back, i said no at first because i wanted to play with it for a while, but eventually i sold it back to him. great radios.. just a shame about those forever missing aluminium plates from under the Tuner, why did all those people just throw them away instead of either gluing them back on or just tape them to the back of the stereo so someone else could fix it back on. someone needs to reproduce them, so many missing from GF555, also the cassette door plates as well..

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
I've had 2 GF555.. I bought one in 86/87, bought it from a friend, it had a Blown Amp, i went to the sharp parts centre and Bought a new HA1392, i only lived a few miles from the Main Sharp Factory in Manchester, and just up the road was a place called willow vale electronics that sold all spares for sharp. it was awesome, i used to go there all the time.. when i repaired the sharp my friend that i bought it from seen it working and wanted to buy it back, i said no at first because i wanted to play with it for a while, but eventually i sold it back to him. great radios.. just a shame about those forever missing aluminium plates from under the Tuner, why did all those people just throw them away instead of either gluing them back on or just tape them to the back of the stereo so someone else could fix it back on. someone needs to reproduce them, so many missing from GF555, also the cassette door plates as well..
I know I’ve seen so many with the aluminium panel
Missing, I’m lucky my one is complete with the trims and cassette fronts.
I’ve replaced a couple of HA1392 amps myself as they are also used in the VZ2000 think
I still have a spare one somewhere.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
I know I’ve seen so many with the aluminium panel
Missing, I’m lucky my one is complete with the trims and cassette fronts.
I’ve replaced a couple of HA1392 amps myself as they are also used in the VZ2000 think
I still have a spare one somewhere.
Yes a lot of sharp have the HA1392, i think they are "ok" amp chips, i wouldn't say they are the best though at 7w. the GF500, GF575, GF555, GF9000 and others, and i just replaced the Amp chips in a GF777 for a friend, they have 2 HA1392 in them.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
This is your typical GF555 these days, this is on Ebay Right Now.. Wouldn't it be Awesome if someone could reproduce the plates, i bet they would sell Lots like Hot Cakes. GF555.jpg.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
Yes that is Kool, Wonder how he made them ? that is very well done. everyone should know about him, those prices are totally reasonable too..
EDIT: He's sold 226, so at least we know that 226 GF555's have been restored, that' excellent. those and the Philips Gears are the best ideas i have seen.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
When I fabbed the metal trims for my C100F I ordered this stuff and had a local waterjet shop cut them.
For lettering, I couldn't find a place to silkscreen them so I used dry transfer, but later used CO2 laser blackening since it's very permanent and involves no inks.
Huffers developed this process that seemed to work well but like all the others, does involve a bit of an investment.

Huffers

Member (SA)
Apr 25, 2019
Billericay, Essex, UK
This is your typical GF555 these days, this is on Ebay Right Now.. Wouldn't it be Awesome if someone could reproduce the plates, i bet they would sell Lots like Hot Cakes. View attachment 58504.
Maybe I will have a go at some point. I did do a one off plate for another member on here for another box. Will try and find a picture.IMG_2743.jpeg

Last edited: