I'm so sick of parcel delivery companies!

Spax

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2023
SWUK
I picked up a careworn Sony ZS-D55 off eBay the other day with the plan to shine, service and display it.

As you can see from the pictures, the couriers (DPD, UK) did their level best to reduce it down to a 1000 piece 3D jigsaw.
Packaging-wise it's not miles of bubblewrap but I'd have classed it as sufficient to safely make it through the delivery system but clearly the seller didn't think to set it in a steel cage to protect it from Thor's hammer or whatever the fup landed on it.

I'm f*cking furious because this is the 2nd good condition stereo I've had ruined by careless couriers and it's a trend that is increasing.

Attachments

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
That's why shipping boom boxes is expensive. Because you need to double box it with thick heavy boxes not to mention the other packing materials.
I can tell you they don't give a **** how they toss it around it means nothing to them .
That is disgraceful . the amount of damage shows how it was kicked and thrown 100 times or more before it made it on to the delivery truck and even then probably totally mis handled.
This same thing happened to my gf 777 and it looked almost as bad when I got it . even had packing peanuts inside the boombox.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Cardboard shims and soft worn pillow-like cartons don't make good packaging material. Unfortunately, most folks just reuse whatever cartons they have available. Whenever I come across stiff strong cartons, I tend to save them, which is why my place looks like hoarders heaven. I could see how folks with pristine guest friendly homes would have trouble having the proper packing material on hand.

Reactions: floyd

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Packing a boombox is an art and unfortunately sellers with no integrity send these by couriers with the bare bone packing required. Couriers will do their thing but the secret is to pack them like they were when they came from the manufacturer. Tight with no internal movement and protected on all sides.

I hate seeing these stories of beautiful boxes destroyed in transit. Such a shame. Sorry bud.

rivetmaster

Member (SA)
Sep 14, 2022
United Kingdom
Similar story with one of my much sought after dream stereos.

When i picked it up from the click and collect it was damp! It had been there for 24 hours, so it had a whole day to dry out and was still wet.

I reckon the courier had sat it end-on in a puddle. It has soaked through to the speaker. 20240213_100631.jpg

Attachments

Superduper

Member (SA)
Last month. Negotiated $125 shipped before tax, $135 after. Supposedly all working, no problems. Then this arrived. Powers up but nothing works and it’s clear nothing ever worked. When I complained, he quickly responded with “dang it got trashed in shipping” and suggested I file a claim. I told him carton had no external signs of damage. Anyway I told him he can file claim if he wanted but I want to return it. In the end, was provided $95 partial refund but I feel like I got scammed.

• Angry
Reactions: smeltedcheese

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
I had a mono radio damaged in shipping by UPS late last March.
They reviewed my packaging material and approved the claim.
In April, they emailed me with the check information after they said they mailed it.
They sent it to some random guy that had nothing to do with the transaction.
So even if you win a case, you still might not get reimbursed.
The check only covers the item's value and not the shipping cost or the price of the insurance.
Almost a year later and I'm still trying to straighten it out.
All they had to do was cancel the original check and issue me a new one.
When I call UPS, they outright lie to me and say a check will be issued within a week.
They've said that several times to me, it's crazy.

Thomy71

Member (SA)
Mar 8, 2023
Germany
Reading this thread makes me even more happy I received my GF-8989 last month even better than it looked on the seller's pics. :-) It's a shame what happens to some parcels and their rare content. :( Over here in Germany the drivers are not paid really fair, too, but at least they don't let out their anger like that.

Reactions: Brutus442

Spax

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2023
SWUK
I've arranged with the seller a refund less £10 and I'll keep the unit.
I'm hoping to pick a cheap one up somewhere and make good with the spares.

In my experience there has been a marked decrease the past few years in the care couriers take and the condition parcels arrive in.
A friend said that if you wanted care taken then the price of delivery would be ten times higher. I can see their point but you rarely get what you pay for these days. As long as there are humans in the loop who DGAF you're never going to be guaranteed a safe parcel journey.

BoomboxLover48

Member (SA)
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago, IL
Last year I got one of the items I wanted for decades all broken to pieces from UK. I send a separate mail to alert him how to pack in detail.
It was a PYE Black Box 4 speaker record player. The seller even didn't bother to lock the tone arm or the platter. Lost the stylus, cartridge, destroyed the whole top section when the platter came lose inside the top section. Only once in a blue moon a 4 speaker stereo version of the Black Box show up on Ebay.
Luckily, I got a full refund.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
That's why shipping boom boxes is expensive. Because you need to double box it with thick heavy boxes not to mention the other packing materials.
The double boxing doesn't do much, what matters is that you pack it so full of bubble wrap and foam that you have to push the flaps closed to tape it up. Basically you have to turn your package into a giant soccer ball, because that's the sport they'll be playing with your parcel.

Reactions: Spax and Brutus442

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
Last month. Negotiated $125 shipped before tax, $135 after. Supposedly all working, no problems. Then this arrived. Powers up but nothing works and it’s clear nothing ever worked. When I complained, he quickly responded with “dang it got trashed in shipping” and suggested I file a claim. I told him carton had no external signs of damage. Anyway I told him he can file claim if he wanted but I want to return it. In the end, was provided $95 partial refund but I feel like I got scammed.

i had the exact same box described as fully working cost 100 no refund,,,,gave it away free it was scrap no refund nothing:mad:

Last edited:

Tinman

Member (SA)
Mar 4, 2019
USA
Years ago, I shipped two of the same model box that were well packaged.
Even so, both of the transformers broke loose.
I remember when I was leaving the counter dropping one of them off, the woman slid it off the counter and dropped it into one of those canvas carts.
I'm pretty sure the transformer broke loose from that drop.
Luckily both buyers were understanding and opened them up and repaired them themselves.
I refurbished a couple more of that model and made sure to glue the transformers in.

Brutus442

Member (SA)
Jan 7, 2012
Toronto, Canada
The double boxing doesn't do much, what matters is that you pack it so full of bubble wrap and foam that you have to push the flaps closed to tape it up. Basically you have to turn your package into a giant soccer ball, because that's the sport they'll be playing with your parcel.
I agree. I've shipped several boxes to Italy and a few to the States. In both cases I jammed all sides with bubble wrap and and sometimes encase it in another box. It does cost a bit on shipping but the shattered feeling of getting a broken dream box is unacceptable to me. Do unto others as they saying goes....

I tend to hoard bubble wrap from every Amazon purchase for this reason and buy some extra.