Conion C100 - no sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
So as I am working on the two Conions to make one good one out of them, I have to realize that both have one and the same problem.
The power up just fine, alarm works, left VU meter goes to full when on radio.
But other than that - that's it :sadno:
No radio reception is indicated, the volume does not seem to affect the background sound of a humm/hiss.
The stereo/mono switch makes a small cracking come out of both speakers.

I cannot be the first one with this issue since both of the boxes have this problem :hmmm: .

PLEASE help!!! :thumbsup:

I was thinkign it could be a bad record bar, a haircrack on a board or something like that...I hope it is not the crack on a board - but isn't it very unlikely since both have the same issue??? :huh:

Any input welcome - otherwise I'll go through cleaning record bars and disassembling these things until I find anything visible that could be the cause :-/ .
I was thinking a loose contact on the main board maybe? I don't believe both tuners are broken. :no:
And I don't believe both amps are blown either :no: .
There must be something so please help me with your experience!

Thanks a lot!

Max

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Well Max I would try the more obvious stuff. Clean all switches, pots and power switch also check the headphones plug by plugging phones in ;-)

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
baddboybill said:
check the headphones plug by plugging phones in ;-)

^^^^^ that worked on my M90. Supposedly dead left channel and BINGO! Sings like new. :thumbsup:

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
It's not the head phone jack :no: .

No peak on the VUs on line in :no: .
Then all of a sudden, this very LOUD humming started and can only be stopped by gently tapping the back of the box :huh: .
Record bar maybe? Must be a loose contact somewhere....

Gonna take it apart and clean everything and then hopefully have it working again :lol: .

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
Check the LINE IN switch. It was preventing the needles on my M90 from moving properly. Spray a very liberal amount of DEOXIT in there while moving the switch back and forth. My M90 switch is still a little hard to move but my needles are moving now. Good luck!!

baddboybill

Member (SA)
Jul 14, 2009
Hudson Florida
Max I just read a thread on s2g about a conion with similar problem and Norm chimed in stating that the HA1392 amp chips most likely are cause and new ones ( original not generic ) are needed. He stated he has had to replace a couple before :sadno:

Jboogie2384

Member (SA)
Sep 30, 2010
Queens, New York
baddboybill said:
Max I just read a thread on s2g about a conion with similar problem and Norm chimed in stating that the HA1392 amp chips most likely are cause and new ones ( original not generic ) are needed. He stated he has had to replace a couple before :sadno:
Blu Fuz has a set for sure. Look him up ASAP.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
baddboybill said:
Sooo...i cannot just go order replacemenrs you mean?
Well...will Do further checking today.

Superduper

Member (SA)
Jboogie2384 said:
Not anymore, I don't think. Joe's amps have been transplanted into Sinister's C100 with blown amps.

mmcodomino said:
Sooo...i cannot just go order replacemenrs you mean?
No Max. What I mean is that you should get "real" Hitachi chips and not counterfeit ones put out by the good folks in asia. They look exactly the same but are not. Anybody still selling tons of them are probably selling counterfeits. NTE replacements are decent quality and are new but might not hold up since Conion is not using the chips in the manner prescribed by Hitachi in their spec sheets. They bridged them in a non-conventional format that stresses them. Original HA1392's are obsolete and no longer being produced. So you'll need to get NOS Hitachi chips. And just because it says hitachi on them doesn't make them real. Copying the lettering is the easiest part of the counterfeiting process. Counterfeit semiconductors is a big problem, that's for sure.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Superduper said:
Jboogie2384 said:
Not anymore, I don't think. Joe's amps have been transplanted into Sinister's C100 with blown amps.

Yeah, I sent off everything on that board to Norm to help out Sin's Conion - I hope they work out for you and Sin :yes:

Superduper

Member (SA)
@Joe: The board arrived damaged. The switches were mangled and the board itself snapped in one corner and the board in general has a large bow in it. So I had to desolder the amps to transplant them but they were working! :thumbsup:

@Max -- counterfeits wouldn't be very good if they didn't look the same. I can't tell you whether those chips will work or not. I can tell you I've installed counterfeits before and they literally sizzled and blew up within moments of powering up. Using chips harvested from old boomboxes worked fine though. You should google counterfeit semiconductors. You will be shocked what you read.

blu_fuz

Staff member
Jun 3, 2009
WI
Superduper said:
@Joe: The board arrived damaged. The switches were mangled and the board itself snapped in one corner and the board in general has a large bow in it. So I had to desolder the amps to transplant them but they were working! :thumbsup:

Well, I guess the amps were what you were after anyway but that F'N BLOWS that the board/switches got so damaged...... :-/

Glad they were useful :thumbsup: :breakdance:

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Superduper said:

@Max -- counterfeits wouldn't be very good if they didn't look the same. I can't tell you whether those chips will work or not. I can tell you I've installed counterfeits before and they literally sizzled and blew up within moments of powering up. Using chips harvested from old boomboxes worked fine though. You should google counterfeit semiconductors. You will be shocked what you read.
Would you think a good tech would know to use good originals and not those fakies? :-/

Damn, it is a little frustrating to have located the problem but not being able to fix it :lol: .
I take it as a challenge though :yes: .
I think I will go for a little more expensive BINs for those chips for single chip BIN - those seem most likely to be okay.
The 2,75€ ones are quite suspicious actually :lol: .

Thanks a lot for your help in advance! I am sure that is the issue - just need to fix it now. :yes:
Will take both chassis to a tech some time and tell him to replace the amp chips with the best stuff he has that fits. :lol:

Superduper

Member (SA)
mmcodomino said:
Would you think a good tech would know to use good originals and not those fakies? :-/
Given that the people that buy semiconductors are those in the repair or electronics industry, and considering how successful semiconductor counterfeiting scams are, you can guess that they are not easy to spot. Sometimes, the only way to know is to cut them open and compare the silicon wafers. Information on this issue can be found all over the internet. LIke I said, just google and read up if you wanna know more.

mmcodomino

Member (SA)
Mar 5, 2010
Berlin, Germany
www.myradio.berlin
Superduper said:
mmcodomino said:
Given that the people that buy semiconductors are those in the repair or electronics industry, and considering how successful semiconductor counterfeiting scams are, you can guess that they are not easy to spot. Sometimes, the only way to know is to cut them open and compare the silicon wafers. Information on this issue can be found all over the internet. LIke I said, just google and read up if you wanna know more.
Sooo...basically I can buy five of the same, cut one open and see if they are ok? :-D

I know..my stupid unexperienced mind thinks that as first thing.
I think I found old stock hitachi chips thouhg on eBay :hmmm: .
I think there have to be some good ones out there and heck, I will be doomed if I cannot locate them and let them be transplanted.

How often are those specific chips used in other boxes for example??? :huh:

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
it could be a problem in the alarm sensor , it basically overrides all functions when the alarm is on , also if the box was worked on before they might have plugged the connectors in the wrong places as the connectors inside fit onto several different plugs on the pc boards so labeling them when dis assembly takes place is important .

might not be either problem but it's something to look at .

Status
Not open for further replies.