Adding Aux Input in place of....mic input?

90sKween

Jul 21, 2020
arizona
Hey yall
Very new to electronic work, this is my first project. I bought a boombox presumably from the 90s and I am trying to put in an aux chord.
I see many videos and instructions on replacing the cassette input to aux input but I would like to keep my cassette player.
I see instructions on replacing mic input to aux input however my mic input circuit wouldnt fit an aux input thing ( i will attach a photo of this)Photo on 7-21-20 at 8.06 PM.jpg.
..is there a way to make a new little circuit board for an aux input or a way to use the mic input? AHHH i dont know! :breakdance::thankyou:
Sincerely,
Emily

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
Hello.
You need to specify the boombox model.
Good idea is to find a service manual.
This makes it easier to find the place for the line input.
What device will you connect: cd player, mp3 player or gsm phone?

90sKween

Jul 21, 2020
arizona
Hello.
You need to specify the boombox model.
Good idea is to find a service manual.
This makes it easier to find the place for the line input.
What device will you connect: cd player, mp3 player or gsm phone?

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 10.05.31 PM.png
Hi thanks for your response!
it is a sanyo M9721..i had trouble finding a user manual online but i will dig deeper...
i was hoping to connect it to a phone or computer to play music from and record onto cassettes.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
A service manual sells for $ 20 on eBay.
You need to look at the wiring diagram and consider what changes are needed to add a line input.
Knowledge of electronics, soldering iron and small electronic components - jacks, resistors, capacitors, etc. is required.
After the whole modification, do not expect excellent results.
It can be used for listening to music, but not for good recordings.
Low-end boomboxes like this Sanyo don't make quality recordings.
To make recordings, the level of the input signal is of great importance.
If the level is low - the recordings will be quiet, if it is high - there will be sound distortion.
For higher quality recordings, must be used higher class boomboxes or cassette decks.
The most affordable cassette boomboxes with indicator and line input are Sanyo C12, C30, C35 ...
Sony, Technics cassette decks are sold on eBay for $ 30-50, which are very good for recordings.
You will need to carefully consider which is the best solution.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
If you get second thoughts about modding the box, there are FM transmitters that don't transmit very far and are very small.

90sKween

Jul 21, 2020
arizona
A service manual sells for $ 20 on eBay.
You need to look at the wiring diagram and consider what changes are needed to add a line input.
Knowledge of electronics, soldering iron and small electronic components - jacks, resistors, capacitors, etc. is required.
After the whole modification, do not expect excellent results.
It can be used for listening to music, but not for good recordings.
Low-end boomboxes like this Sanyo don't make quality recordings.
To make recordings, the level of the input signal is of great importance.
If the level is low - the recordings will be quiet, if it is high - there will be sound distortion.
For higher quality recordings, must be used higher class boomboxes or cassette decks.
The most affordable cassette boomboxes with indicator and line input are Sanyo C12, C30, C35 ...
Sony, Technics cassette decks are sold on eBay for $ 30-50, which are very good for recordings.
You will need to carefully consider which is the best solution.
Ok good to know.. I think I'll just put this thing back on craigslist and try again. Thanks for your suggestions.

JVC Floyd

Inactive (Delete)
May 6, 2009
Maryland USA.
My suggestion is if you buy a box with mic inputs make sure it has an adjustable mic level volume control that way you can adjust the input level to lower distortion.

goodman

Member (SA)
Jun 14, 2011
Bulgaria
My suggestion is if you buy a box with mic inputs make sure it has an adjustable mic level volume control
that way you can adjust the input level to lower distortion.
This is compromise, because mic mixing input is MONO.
The best solution is cassette deck or boombox with real Line IN
(function switch must have Line IN position, L R cinch, no DIN5) and vu meter level indicator.

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
Mic inputs are low and don't sound good as an input other than a microphone. I have used the cassette Head input with a voltage divider to connect iphone for playing only.

I just had a thought what if you connect the iphone to the Recording head (with a voltage divider) then you could record onto the tape with the external input. You would be recording blind (levels) but with trial and error it should work?

Last edited: