1981 AIWA MINI COMPONENT SYSTEM

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
ANOTHER DUMP FIND. IT ALL WORKS OK BUT THE SWITCHES NEED A GOOD CLEAN AND SO DOES THE FACE PLATES..NOW THE PROBLEM. I CAN'T REMOVE THE VOLUME DIAL NOR THE TUNER ONE. THEY ARE STUCK SOLID. THEY WILL CRACK IF I FORCE THEM. AS I COULD SEE THE PLASTIC BENDING WHEN I TRIEDaiwa mini component system.JPG. DON'T KNOW WHY THEY ARE STUCK ON SO TIGHT..ANY IDEA HOW TO REMOVE THEM SAFELY

Demonfinder

Member (SA)
Feb 27, 2021
U.K
Are the knobs a solid single piece construction?
I`ve seen some types where the front disc just sticks on top of the main knob which reveals a securing screw when taken off.
A bit difficult to tell in the photo`s if a metal front disc has be secured onto the main knob which may be plastic?.
If you can trace a service manual online it might have some exploded diagrams that give a hint.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: AE_Stereo

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
Demonfinder

the knobs are a solid single piece of plastic..there is no front disc that comes off..i know what you mean ive removed knobs like that before

Demonfinder

Member (SA)
Feb 27, 2021
U.K
Hi Wes125 ..I put "aiwa sa-c22 specs" into Google and came up with a few sites which have free access to download a repair exploded pdf.
I`m not brilliant at understanding these but by having a quick look it seems the knobs might possibly be on a screw thread rather than a simple push fit which is more common...might just be the shading on the diagram though so have a search and see what you think.

Reactions: Wes125

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
Demonfinder i can see by this pic they push on. i thought they did. i cant understand why they are so tight. not unless the plastic has welded itself to the splinemaxresdefault.jpg

Reli

Member (SA)
Dec 24, 2010
USA
Try using a heat gun on it. By the way I can't believe someone would be stupid enough to throw that away, especially when it was still working.

Wes125

Member (SA)
Aug 9, 2021
Uk
Reli. most of my retro stereos have come from the recycling centres here in the uk..there will be further post on what i've bought

mudman

Member (SA)
Apr 12, 2010
Tape off everything with green Frog Painters tape, use plastic tools, never metal, just like the car guys do. Heat will probably destroy the screen printing since some of these come with a metal knobs and need higher temps to "crack" them.