What batteries to use for your boombox?

325addict

Mar 17, 2024
The Netherlands
I know the answer... Ansmann 10Ah(!) NiMH D-cells. These indeed have a true 10Ah capacity. Get 'em for guilt-free decibels :-)

Attachments

• IMG_7370.JPG
    IMG_7370.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 3

Spax

Member (SA)
Oct 9, 2023
SWUK
Juicy! I have a few airsoft LiPo's around and have considered them as possible power sources, I also have a 3D printer and thought about making up an 18650 pack with a voltage regulator to output the needed voltages.

325addict

Mar 17, 2024
The Netherlands
Juicy! I have a few airsoft LiPo's around and have considered them as possible power sources, I also have a 3D printer and thought about making up an 18650 pack with a voltage regulator to output the needed voltages.
Of course, you can do that, but you need to switch the regulator on and off every time you want some music... instead of the regulator I would take some 32650 li-ion cells from Trustfire (with 6Ah capacity) and have some aluminum spacers made to complement to an X number of D-cells. I did that also for my 3D Maglite... it now has a powerful 7.2V bulb in it (around 20 Watts, Welch Allyn WA1274) with an aluminum reflector and a real glass lens. Unfortunately 2 pieces 32650 don't fill up like 3 D cells, so I have a piece of brass made, to complement to the size of 3 D cells. That was the mistake of the century... it is extremely heavy now near the battery cap! Next time I'll take aluminum ;-)