New aiwa 955

Rockbox

Jun 6, 2021
New York
Hi, new to forum and hoping for some help. Just found an aiwa 955 radio that some one was discarding. Brought it home to find that it works well enough as a radio, but the cassette deck has no motor function. I’m guessing it needs new belts from my quick searches-is there any help in deciding where to look for the right belts? Also the volume knob is “scratchy “- any advice for how to correct that? Thanks, I’m new to this but it looks like a really groovy radio and I’d like to give it some new life!

JimmieJam

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2021
Wilmington NC
Not sure myself on an Aiwa as I dont have one, but if its a pretty standard type of belt you can buy a package of them that come in multiple sizes on ebay for very cheap. This is what I did and they worked great on many different boxes . Only one I couldnt use them on was a Magnavox as it uses a wide belt.

JimmieJam

Member (SA)
Mar 27, 2021
Wilmington NC
Search Ebay with these terms.

50Pcs 40-130mm Mix Cassette Tape Drives Decks Belt Assorted Repair Common Belts. Its about $12.

AE_Stereo

Member (SA)
Apr 24, 2012
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Fix for Scratchy volume knob (and for all other knobs and switches as well) is Deoxit Faderlube contact cleaner.
You can try with this DeoxIT® Fader, #F100L-L2C (Squeeze Tube) .

And watch this video to get an idea how it looks like inside:

Rockbox

Jun 6, 2021
New York
Fantastic, thank you!
Fix for Scratchy volume knob (and for all other knobs and switches as well) is Deoxit Faderlube contact cleaner.
You can try with this DeoxIT® Fader, #F100L-L2C (Squeeze Tube) .

And watch this video to get an idea how it looks like inside: