More “Discman” Than “Walkman,” But ...

PostEnder

Member (SA)
Nov 21, 2012
Southeastern U.S.A.
Hello, people. It’s been a bit of time since since I posted any messages here on BoomBoxery.com. (Or on any ‘site, really. But that’s another story.)

Anyway, now that a member like static2000g got us nice and started early in 2015 (though he hasn’t posted since September 2017), does anyone have any experience – that is, any good, reassuring experience – playing non-”Redbook compliant” CDs with any of the Shockwave series of Panasonic CD players made since 1999? (Inspired by my November 2019 message to an eBay seller, I think that “non-’Redbook compliant’ CDs” are: CDs not mastered in a million-dollar recording studio by audio engineers and sold in large volumes, CDs not made in a factory, “home-burned” CD-Rs that lack the microscopic underside “pits” that hold data, CDs over 74 minutes, etc.)

Thanks in advance for any advice (pretty pictures of boombox–CD player hookups included) that you can share. Have a good day.

caution

Member (SA)
Mar 25, 2014
Boomboxery
Redbook has nothing to do with the creation of pits. ALL CDs (and DVDs, Laserdiscs, Blu-ray, etc etc.) use pits to store data.

The difference between prerecorded, mass-produced discs and rewritable ones is that the former are stamped and the latter are created by a laser, and need a different coating. Which, as it turns out, isn't as reflective. Some players won't even recognize rewritables because the laser isn't bright enough to read them.

The players you mention do support Redbook, but some owners have noticed long delays between tracks sometimes.