Realistic SCR-8 - Replacement capacitor question and general questions!

richi71

Mar 26, 2018
Hello Folks,

I have a Realistic SCR-8 that's in good cosmetic condition, AUX and LEDs work and tape is reasonably reliable but I have noticed that when F/W and Rewind are pressed it causes a loud electrical pop. I've tested the capacitors and resistors on the tape circuit board and found a handful of the electrolytic types do look like they need replacing.

I am hoping fresh caps will help but I wondered if anyone out there had this issue before ? Also 3 of the ceramic capacitors seemed to give no reading so I ordered some replacements for these. One is identified as a 223 on the existing capacitor and I found replacements off the web, but it's considerably smaller than the original!! (pic below) If anyone is familiar is this right or have a I got the part wrong? :-)

I've a more general question too re. the radio and power light. I have no life from the radio at all and the power LED very dimly lights up for a split second and then fades out. When the box is turned off the red light again just glows very dimly for a split second and goes out. I wondered if anyone had a similar issue to this and any smoking guns to look for that might help this.

Thanks in advance folks

capacitor.jpg

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
The ff rwd pop can be from bad contacts on the reed or proximity switch, these are exposed to the air and can be cleaned with fine grade sand paper. Additionally there can be a capacitor between the tape mech frame and PCB ground that may have failed. The Radio issue sounds like the Function switch contacts.