I can fix radios with the power of my mind

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
I had my chance at buying one of my grail boomboxes a while ago. It was pick-up only, but it was close to me. I just couldn't afford it at the time.

The thing is it was a box that i would NEVER EVER have sold. The value didn't matter. It's a stunning bit of kit. I would have stared at it every day and caressed it and said 'you are mine'. :)

It went for £180. That's a lot of money for me.

It was back on ebay this week. And IT SOLD FOR........

any guesses?
You got my Curiosity going so i went and looked on Ripoffbay for a radio that sold for £180 but i couldn't see one, i was going to say Sharp GF 777, but they go for way more than that these days. but it was the pick up only that Caught me, there was a 777 pick up only that sold for £175 last week, Pick Up Only..

Reactions: floyd

dubout

Member (SA)
Nov 19, 2020
Germany
i also had a Massive Elta masterblaster, i hated that more than most boxes i have ever owned, They look nice, but they are complete junk, They sound no way as good as they look, and they have the cheapest components in them, tape decks are junk with the crappy cogs that start making a grinding noise and slipping teeth, Never again..
Sorry to all discolite fans and Elta Fans, that was nothing personal.
On a side note, if you like the vibrant but somehow off colour scheme of the Elta Masterblaster, look for the TEC 878RR Super Jumbo. These have horrible sound also but I love mine, it is so tacky! People think they are worth alot of money and mostly they have big price tags but noone buys them. In the end I have seen them sell for very little money.

rivetmaster

Member (SA)
Sep 14, 2022
United Kingdom
You got my Curiosity going so i went and looked on Ripoffbay for a radio that sold for £180 but i couldn't see one, i was going to say Sharp GF 777, but they go for way more than that these days. but it was the pick up only that Caught me, there was a 777 pick up only that sold for £175 last week, Pick Up Only..
It sold for a cash offer. I went to see it and put an offer on. The guy said he'd sold it for 180. I bought a JVC PC-W35 from the same guy.

Seller was wholeheartedly-brings-megaphones. I can't find any of those previous sales either

Last edited:

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
It sold for a cash offer. I went to see it and put an offer on. The guy said he'd sold it for 180. I bought a JVC PC-W35 from the same guy.

Seller was wholeheartedly-brings-megaphones. I can't find any of those previous sales either
i scrapped one of those Panasonic Cw200 a few months ago, if i would have known you wanted one i would have sold it you dirt cheap just to save it, the radio kinda worked, aux worked, but the cassette decks were fk'd. i just lost my temper with it when i was trying to fix the decks and scrapped it, it's long gone now.

Ghettoman

Member (SA)
Jul 7, 2018
Manchester, England
On a side note, if you like the vibrant but somehow off colour scheme of the Elta Masterblaster, look for the TEC 878RR Super Jumbo. These have horrible sound also but I love mine, it is so tacky! People think they are worth alot of money and mostly they have big price tags but noone buys them. In the end I have seen them sell for very little money.
I've seen those Tec jumbo radio's, i've never really liked the looks of them though, one or 2 have popped up on ebay over the past couple of years. i had a ICS 5091, that was cheap but it was a nice looking radio, i changed the woofers for a set of technics and that made it sounds awesome

rivetmaster

Member (SA)
Sep 14, 2022
United Kingdom
i scrapped one of those Panasonic Cw200 a few months ago, if i would have known you wanted one i would have sold it you dirt cheap just to save it, the radio kinda worked, aux worked, but the cassette decks were fk'd. i just lost my temper with it when i was trying to fix the decks and scrapped it, it's long gone now.
That would have been a kind offer, thank you.

Radio raheem

Member (SA)
May 13, 2009
uk
300 was my top for anything floyd bro but now i am pretty much finished lad....if someone wants to give me 12 grand for every thing i own then i can get my dream wish....a 1 way ticket to Switzerland with no return lol

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
300 was my top for anything floyd bro but now i am pretty much finished lad....if someone wants to give me 12 grand for every thing i own then i can get my dream wish....a 1 way ticket to Switzerland with no return lol
Yodeling is cheaper than collecting boomboxes lol. **** freezing in the Alps . you might need a good boombox lol.

Reactions: Radio raheem

rivetmaster

Member (SA)
Sep 14, 2022
United Kingdom
I set my standards pretty low so if it's not free or almost completely free I don't even mess around with it anymore. My buddy tj the trash man is set to retire in 3 years so I'm sweating that day lol.
The best connection I've got these days is my sister. She works for a charity shop. They don't get many boomboxes. Couple of rare ones, but nothing I would want to keep for myself anyway. I like to clean and service them before she puts them up for sale.

floyd

Member (SA)
Jan 9, 2022
Maryland usa
I agree son i mean who in there right mind is going to pay this for an old radio, i find the whole thing bizarre imho
Off the topic but I think I found that 40 pound crown amplifier I've been looking for . it was right in front of me almost . I found it while I was going though stacks of scrap looking for a cd changer and there it was lol. I'm also missing a conion c126 and a prosonic pqr 9962 . I know these rotten are some place because I never throw anything away lol.

Reactions: Radio raheem

hopey

Member (SA)
Dec 28, 2014
Melb AU
VINTAGE SANYO 3 IN 1 TURNTABLE, RADIO & (TAPE BECK ONLY NOT WORKING). GXT4514K

(THE SPEAKERS BEEN USED ON THIS UNIT MAY BELONG TO THE SHERWOOD TURNTABLE).

I HAVE 2 PAIRS LARGE SPEAKERS & 2 PAIR SMALL ONES, BUYER MAY CHOICE TO TAKE 1 PAIR OF THEM.

WORKING, HOW GOOD?. I HAVE BEEN USING IT TILL MY HEARING GONE ON/OFF.

THE RECORDS WILL BE SOLD AS JOB LOT OR MAY STILL THEM UP LATER.

(I HAVE BEEN DEAF ON ONE SIDE FOR A LONG TIME AND LOOSING/ON & OFF, MY OTHER SIDE)

AS IS UNCLEANED.